Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We have 18 Babies!

Don't freak out, yet.

They were able to harvest 32 eggs yesterday! I don't remember much about the procedure but I remember a nurse coming over to me and saying they had 20 some odd eggs and they were still counting. They couldn't believe I had that many! What happened to 15?

They told us that the eggs had a 50% survival rate at this stage. We got a call this morning that we had 18 embryos that survived. That's more than 50%!

They said that the embryos were doing so good that they would like for us to try to wait until Sunday for the transfer. If we wait until then, the embryos will be at the "blastocyst" stage. That means they will be at a 100 cell count and they are much stronger and we have a 20% greater chance of a successful pregnancy (Embryos that are transferred 3 days later are only at a 6-8 cell stage). The downfall to this is that all the embryos will not make it to this stage and we might not have any to freeze. We decided that we wanted to take the extra 20% chance this time and not worry about having any to freeze. We are still tentatively scheduled for transfer on Friday and they will call us at 8:30am and let us know if they think we need to go ahead and come in for transfer or wait until Sunday. On a special note, Sunday is our 6th wedding anniversary. What a nice present that will be:)

The procedure went really well. The worst part of it for me was getting the iv. The medications they gave me worked so well that I don't remember hardly anything about the procedure or much of my time in recovery. I felt great when I left but it caught up with me last night. I'm still extremely bloated and am having trouble getting up and down and walking. I have extreme pain in my abdomen. When I talked to my nurse this morning she said it was all normal because my ovaries are so over stimulated right now (maybe the 32 eggs have something to do with it). She said I will probably feel this way for a week and that it will get worse before it gets better. Everybody please pray for a speedy recovery! I was able to work from home today but I'll need to go in the rest of the week.

I feel like we have exceeded our doctor's expectations up to this point and that things have gone really well. We are so excited to get the transfer completed and then get the LONG wait over with! I don't have anything fun planned for the wait. Any ideas anyone!!??

While I've been on bedrest, someone else has decided to milk it up too:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara and Steve,
Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. I have enjoyed, prayed and cried through the whole
blog journey. I am sure success is imminent.
Love ya
Aunt Dotti

Anonymous said...

congrats to that, we are thinking about you both and we love you!

leslie and michael