Monday, May 18, 2009

This post is wordy, because Sara is 30!

The day I've been dreading for a year is finally here.....My 30th birthday.

To me, 30 is a point in your life where you reflect back over the last ten years and think about how far you've come. Did you use these ten years wisely or did you let them waste away? I've accomplished a lot of things in my 20's but couldn't see it. My mind was so clouded by all the obstacles we encountered with trying to start a family. I am somewhat of a control freak(Ha!) and I could control, for the most part, every other aspect of my life except my fertility. That drove me crazy!

Last year on my birthday, I sat down and made a list of all the things I hoped to had accomplished or overcome by the time I turned 30. I didn't want to spend my birthday full of regrets. I wanted to spend it celebrating how far I've come. Unfortunately, I can't find the list! I can remember one maybe two things on it. In the spirit of that list, I wanted to list a few things here that I have been so grateful for these past 10 years:

-I met Steve and fell in love
- I graduted from college as Magna Cum Laude
-I married Steve
-I gained a whole new bonus family and finally had sisters
-We were able to buy a house a week before we got married and were able to afford it, even though I didn't think we possibly could
-We lived paycheck to paycheck which in turn made me appreciate what we had when we didn't have to do that anymore
-I found a career where I was actually really good at my job and love what I do
-I got to travel the world. I've been to 5 countries and saw things that I thought I would die without seeing
-Elly: God knew we needed her in our lives
-I got to see my brother fall in love and I gained another sister
-I saw my nephew go through high school and make it into a great college
-I suffered through many rounds of loss of people I loved. It pushed me to my knees and into God's arms
- I never gave up on having a family. I am 9 weeks pregnant.


Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. I've had my share of disappointments, tragedy, regret and loss in my 20's. But all of those things mold you into the person you are. I've come out of all of them alive. I've learned something from every one. I think it's the struggles that make you a better person.


My mind is swarming right now, so if there is something so obvious that I left off this list then I will post it later. This was my present to me, thanks for indulging me.

Happy Birthday, Sara. You made it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARA!!!! Thirty is a milestone but you still have many fun exciting years ahead. You don't look a day over 29, HA HA

Love you
Aunt Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Sara,
Happy Birthday, Phyllis is right you don't look a day over 29.
I am very proud of you. You have shared your pain and joy encouraging many people.
Love you
Aunt Dottie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday chic you finally arrived!!!! You still look like a teenager.

Love ya,
Shannon

Anonymous said...

YO DAY A LADY......YO DAY A LADY......YO DAY A LADYYYY WHO?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!! THAT STILL CRACKS ME UP.

SHANNON