Wednesday, May 20, 2009

And the beat goes on....

We had our first OB appointment today. We were there for over 2 hours!

I had to have an examination in addition to them taking 7 vials of blood..ugh! Our doctor tried to hear the heartbeats with the regular doppler device but didn't have any luck. We were disappointed because that's the only reason Steve came with me.

She was concerned about the swelling of my ovaries since she didn't know what I looked like "normal"(I don't even remember what I looked like "normal"). She decided that we needed another ultrasound just to measure my ovaries.

The ultrasound tech said the largest sac of fluid that I have now is 2". They worry about anything over 4" so it looks like I'm progressing fine. Then she totally surprised us by saying "Here is the heartbeat for baby A"! She had no problem getting the heartbeat and it was such a sweet sound. She was able to signal in on both babies individually and hear their heartbeats. They both were exactly the same and she said they were perfect:) She also was able to show us the babies again and we could actually see their little bodies forming legs and hands. We could see their profiles better than we've been able to before. She really took some time and pointed out everything to us and it was so neat. She gave us like 10 pictures!

We also found out today that my due date is December 20th. That is based on 40 weeks. My doctor explained that although they think it's safe for the babies to be born at 37 weeks, they would never take them that early unless it was necessary. They really want to shoot for 38 weeks but if I make it to that point and I'm doing fine then they would still wait until 40 weeks to take them.

I don't have another appointment until 4 weeks. That will be the longest I've gone without going to a doctor since March! Again, I don't think I should be unsupervised for that long:) Wish me luck.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara, you will not be unsupervised remember you have all of us. Aunt Trish