Tuesday, August 11, 2009

21 Weeks

****UPDATE****
Steve felt the babies kick for the first time tonight!!!
***************************************************

Well this has been an eventful week.

We endeavored on our first ever shopping trip this past weekend and I have come to wonder how anyone ever afforded to have a baby, let alone two at the same time? Just processing the information alone was exhausting not to mention all the dollar signs adding up. There are so many products on the market that I'm sure are silly (ex: piddle pads in case baby tinkles while in the car seat and it happens to leak through the diaper) but I'm sure I'll register for every single one of them:) Piddle pads are on my registry by the way...

Now that we know for sure we're having a boy & a girl, it takes some of the pressure off since we can finally forge ahead with nursery themes and get to start preparing the nursery.

We made our first purchase (which was actually a gift from Grammi and Grampy) this week. We found some cribs that we really liked and picked a night that was pouring down rain to go purchase them and try to squeeze them into our car. Nice.

Here is a picture of what our cribs look like:

We got two of them exactly the same and they will convert into toddler and full size beds so that we'll get plenty of use out of them as the babies grow. On the way home from the store, Steve told me the story of when Hannah was little but she was ready to move into a big girl bed. One night, her mom & dad took her out and Steve changed her crib into the big girl bed and had it all set up and decorated and he surprised her when she came home. He said she was so excited and I could tell just by looking at him while he was telling me that story that it was a great memory for him. That melted my heart when he told me about it...aaahhhh

We had picked out a changing table too that we liked but we were disappointed when we were trying to lay everything out in the room today because we just don't seem to have enough space to fit everything in. It would be fine with one crib but two is just a tight fit. We might have to pick out a different table and see if we can come up with a different configuration. We would also like to put a rocker in the room and ideally we would have two rockers but that's not even an option at this point.

We also are going to dismantle my home office and turn it into a guest room so that we'll have a nice room for any grandmas who might want to have a sleepover. Needless to say, we will be busy for a while, renovating two bedrooms and rearranging our room to have a place for the babies for right when they come home. I don't know if I will be able to sleep if they're in the other room right off the bat but we'll play it by ear.

I'm trying to decide on bedding sets so we can get to painting but I'm having a hard time finding sets that coordinate, aren't cheaply made, aren't outrageously priced, and are in stock. I'm not crazy about doing pink and blue simply because I don't think those two colors always go together, but that's mostly what I'm seeing so we might have to go that route. I've narrowed it down to about three sets, none of which are exactly what I wanted, but will probably turn out nice. If I had my preference, I would buy these sets I saw that you can custom pick all your fabrics and have the bedding monogrammed. I LOVE monogrammed baby items! Unfortunately, those sets run well over $500 a piece and I can think of a lot more things that I need instead of monogrammed bedding:(

But how cute are these!!!??!!



I'll save more of my stories for later as we continue on our new journey, "Adventures in baby shopping".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara & Steve, you could always get your bedding made. Sew it Seams on Bardstown Rd by Bearnos used to do custom bedding & I think still do. We know the owner. I also have a mongrammed machine if you want anything mongrammed. Best of luck! I love reading your blog once a wk. Deanna Becker

Ashley Nelson said...

Sara, go with your favorite turtle items and you could do yellow and green...(or frogs) I have seen that for twins and it was super cute. Aubree had that same crib and we love it. It is a cute day bed now. I am happy for you guys. I feel like I had twins, mine are so close together, but I am glad I didnt carry them together. You are a trroper.